Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Why i want to do pursue MBA

When it comes to MBA the first thing that comes to my mind is CAT. But one of my school teachers had advised me to gain some experience before I can go for an MBA. I did so and when my friends were busy preparing for CAT exam, I was busy building my technical profile (executed engineering project to link different floors of building through audio/video/chat software, doing technical presentation) and ensuring that I get my campus placement. Things worked in my favor and I got placed into the DX technologies and then after 6 months I entered TCS looking for better growth opportunities.

One thing that has always attracted my in IT career has been then glamour that is there in IT along with global exposure that you get working in a multi culture environment (Onsite assignments). Apart from this team management, handling pressure are part and parcel but learning different processes are some of the key differentiators that you learn being in a service industry (got the gyan of process from my software engineering professor)

Over the years in I have grown from a programmer who took instruction to a project leader who is giving instruction to senior and juniors on variety of technical and domain relates issues. One basic difference between programmer and MBA

- A programmer is involved in a monotonous job of code fixing, elevated to the role of module leader, project leader and project management. He will have requirements management and business process modeling skills.

- Whereas as an MBA grads have much more business operations and financial skills and also the ability to help the business make strategic operations decisions. Some MBA grads can also have programmer knowledge but vice versa is rare

Why I can’t try change without an MBA

- Well in my organization if I wish to join consulting practice then I need to join Global Consulting practice (GCP). Most of the graduates here are from top notch MBA schools and those who are not from top notch MBA schools make it to the level of programmers.

- Most of the technical guys also make a leap to business analyst roles(most of the MBA also do the same). I have been trained on the same by giving training on IBM tools and investment banking modules. Point to note is that, though I have the practical knowledge (Subject Matter Expert) and required training, my billing rate will always be same as programmer. But when an MBA grad comes as business analyst(most probably he works for GCP), the billing rate differs. It is not about billing rate but it is about how you are treated within your organization or by clients who respect MBA grads .

- Most of the business development managers(BDM) or Business Relationship Managers(BRM) are people who have exposure to handling clients or are MBA from top notch institutes. In order to take this ladder I need to get to minimum designation (AST designation.) When I joined the organization (it had 25k employees) it used to take 6 – 7 years for reaching the AST grade, but now (>1.5 lakhs employees) it takes 9 years to reach AST grades since promotion rules are revised. With promotion freeze it is difficult to reach into that role.

- Project management role will lead to project manager, account manager, group lead. But going above this need some extra qualification. I have seen my peers doing MBA in order to be competitive with younger MBA grads who are same role is them, but their knowledge gives them upper advantage. MBA can always facilitate and act as a ticket in career progression or enable career change to general management. Well there are some exception as always.

- The advantage of BRM or BDM over project manager is that he gets a formal training

Any career shift from delivery needs an MBA given in the circumstance that I am as of now.

Why MBA

1. Success in any industry depends on the mentoring you get from senior business folks. MBA from a Premier institutes give you the visibility to business folks due to the knowledge gained. Otherwise moving from a technical role to a strategic division will take a longer time. Sometime it becomes tough because knowledgeable MBA guys are already present

2. Without the business knowledge I will try to figure things as I go around. But with the traditional MBA knowledge the path becomes more smoother and it is easy to build the rigor and depth of concepts along with guidance from senior folks

3. Learn different management concepts and tools

4. Solving the same problem or learning negotiation skills with individuals from different industries is a biggest knowledge.

5. The business strategies , various type of industries and their functioning can be better understood through case studies

6. Learning to build trust with client, political mechanics of how you sell and close a big project

Why one year program

1. One year program gives me the opportunity to learn things by saving one year in a reputed institute

2. Management education and jobs is all about networking. Great alumni strength helps a lot. In addition the network connection of experienced guys in the class is bonanza

3. Sitting in a small class room with people of 500 years experience( 50 seats * 10 avg experience)

4. Intellectual development

5. Unique blend of theoretical knowledge and case discussion that equips future managers to develop deep understanding of required skills and their application. Curriculum subjects such as Creating and Managing new ventures OR being a chief executive fits in this bill

No comments:

Post a Comment